{an escape to the country}

nothing but the buzz of bees.....
...the trill of birds
...& big, wide open space!
Every now and again everyone needs to escape to the country. For me it's been much too long so last week I took a much needed trip back to my grass roots to fill my lungs with fresh air and rest my mind and senses. I escaped the claustrophobia of the city for wide open spaces, noise of traffic and neighbours for the trill of birds and the bright neon lights for the milky way. 

The country holds a special place in my heart - it is where I was born and bred. Whilst not all memories of it are perfect - floods and drought, to me it is my home and place where I go back to recharge my batteries and remember who I am and where I came from.I love being able to run around the paddocks - sing, scream or be totally quiet and have no-one to care. 

I spent a couple of days on my father's property in Northern NSW, just a little south of Tamworth, on the Liverpool Plains. It is rich, fertile grazing country where he runs a couple of hundred head of breeding cattle. Ohhh and I absolutely adore cows!! I think it was the experience of being brought up around them, to have a respect for, but not fear them. And of course, being a surrogate mum to the poddy calves who you just couldn't help but falling in love with. Quite often I find myself wishing I could turn back the clock to that 'simpler' more fulfilling life.

'The fencing truck' is as old as me, bought the year I was born: 1980,
and still going strong. So many memories rest in this vehicle....
   
Mummies-to-be, due to calf in the next few months.
Can't wait to see their beautiful babies!
Nothing but the big blue sky and wide
open space as far as the eye can see!
As the saying goes, "you can take the girl out of the country but you can't take the country out of the girl" and it couldn't be more true for me - I'm a bit of a country gal stuck in the city and dream of the day I can call it home again.

No comments:

Post a Comment